spoon

Potatoes Everywhere!

Category: ,



I had a large bag of potatoes in my garage that was begging to be used. Since I didn't have potatoes on the menu plan every day this week I decided I needed to do something else with them.

I recently checked out the cookbook Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer from our library and was looking through it while laying in bed. I found two potato side dishes that sounded yummy so when I got home from my job I got to work in the kitchen.

I peeled half the potatoes to make Marvelous Mashed Potatoes and put the other half in the oven for Twice Baked Potatoes. Now I haven't reheated these to see what they taste like after being frozen but I did sample before putting them into the freezer and they were good! At the end of my cooking session I was happy that my potatoes didn't go to waste and I now had several meals worth of side dishes in my freezer.


Twice Baked Potatoes from Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer



6 Potatoes
Butter, for greasing
Salt
8 Ounces Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Hot Milk
1 Tablespoon Onion Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
Paprika

Clean potatoes and dry. Grease potatoes with butter and salt the skins. Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool until you are able to handle them. Cut potato in half lengthwise and scoop cooked potato out into mixing bowl, being careful to keep the skins whole. Mash potatoes with cream cheese, hot milk, onion salt, butter and pepper. Pile potato mixture back into skins. Sprinkle with paprika. Wrap potatoes individually in plastic wrap and freeze.

Serving Day
Thaw potatoes completely. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.

Marvelous Mashed Potatoes from Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer



4 Pounds Potatoes
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Butter
Salt and Pepper

Peel potato and cut into quarters. Place potatoes in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover potatoes plus 1 inch more. Stir in salt. Bring potatoes to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 25-30 minutes.

Drain potatoes immediately and return to pan; cover to keep warm. Heat milk in saucepan until boiling. Mash potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add butter, salt, pepper and enough hot milk to make potatoes smooth and creamy. Cool completely. Freeze in Ziploc bag.

Serving Day

Thaw potatoes completely. Place potato in an oven-proof dish and reheat at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through. Cover if necessary. Stir halfway through cooking time. Add just enough milk and or butter to bring potatoes back to a smooth, creamy consistency.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment