spoon

New Take on Comfort Food

Category:

Turkey, Black-Eyed Peas and Rice Mix

This is an alternative to your normal comfort food on a cold day. The original recipe for this dish is from Cooking Light January 2007. I made a lot of changes in my own recipe but click here if you want the original.

Changes I made: The original recipe used andouille sausage but I am not a fan of sausage for health reasons and so I substituted it with ground turkey. I also traded all their spice for only red pepper flakes as this is all I had on hand. Finally, I served it with cornbread which turned out to be a very good complement.

Give it a try if you are in for something new. I think you will like it!

Ingredients
1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to your taste
1 package ground turkey
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
11/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, and red pepper flakes to pan and cook until onions are transparent. Stir in ground turkey and cook for 1 minute. Cook the rice to directions then add the rice, chicken broth, black-eyed peas, and tomatoes to pan. Heat mixture until it begins to a boil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons green onions on top. Enjoy!

Comment (1)

Welcome back! We missed you!

Post a Comment