spoon

Yogurt Streusel Muffins

Category:


I had two tubs of plain low-fat yogurt in my fridge taking up valuable space so I needed a plan of what to do with them. I stumbled upon this recipe when I was looking for Menu Plan Monday ideas this week. I had all the ingredients on hand and the picture looked good so after the gym I whipped up a batch. I put them in my husbands lunch and also had some with dinner. The crunchy sugar topping is super.
Yogurt Streusel Muffins (From All You Magazine May 2008)

Streusel Topping:
2/3 Cup Nuts, finely chopped (I left this out because I do not like nuts!)
1/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted

Muffins:
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Plain Low Fat Yogurt
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1) Make streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients and pinch together into large crumbs. Place bowl in freezer.
2) Make muffins: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cups of a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and yogurt. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt with a wooden spoon. Fill each muffin cup with batter. Scatter streusel topping over each muffin and press lightly on crumbs so they adhere to batter. Bake until tops are golden, 17 - 20 minutes, then remove muffins to rack to cool completely.

Eat and freeze the leftovers. They make a great breakfast on the go!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment