spoon

Falafel Pitas with Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing

Category: , , ,

Tonight I made Falafel Pitas with Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing from Cooking Light. This is the second time that I have made this recipe and I think it is just wonderful. I use this Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing in many other recipes as its so good! Don't worry if your patties fall apart, it looks nice crumbled as well. I had about a half of a cucumber left so I sliced it and added it to my pitcher of water in the fridge. I love cucumber flavored water. It is so refreshing. I have also seen people put oranges, lemons, raspberries, and even rosemary in their pitchers. I recommend you try it if you never have. Back to the subject, I like these pitas and you will too! Let me know how yours turns out!

1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (1-ounce) slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, split
1 cup arugula
1/2 cup Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing

Mix the first 10 ingredients in a food processor; blend. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/3 cup chickpea mixture per patty into pan. cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Line each pita half with 1/4 cup arugula, add 1 patty to each pita half, and spoon 2 tablespoons Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing into each pita half.

Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing

1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

Nutritional Information
Calories:
280 (30% from fat)
Fat:9.4g (sat 1.2g,mono 5g,poly 2.2g)
Protein: 11.4g
Carbohydrate: 40.1g
Fiber: 7.3g
Cholesterol: 53mg
Iron: 3.3mg
Sodium:592mg
Calcium: 81mg

Charity Ferriera, Cooking Light, JANUARY 2007

Comments (0)

Post a Comment