spoon

Sweet Corn Tomalito

Category: , ,


(Sorry for the less than amazing photo....this stuff just didn't want to be photographed.)

Do you ever eat at Chevy's? If so, you will know what I am talking about when I refer to the sweet little goodness of corny stuff that arrives with your meal. It is so good, moister than cornbread and sweeter too. I found this recipe for making it at home on All Recipes back in 2007. I have made it many times since then and we always love it. It is not going to look like cornbread when you take it out of the oven and the directions say to serve it with an ice cream scoop so don't be alarmed.

The only ingredient on the list that you may not have at your house already is Masa Harina. This is a corn flour that can be found at almost all grocery stores. I actually purchased my bag at Winco. It is worth the extra purchase just to make this delicious side dish.

Sweet Corn Tomalito from All Recipes

5 Tablespoons Margarine, softened
1/4 Cup Masa Harina
1/3 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
2 Cups Frozen Whole-Kernel Corn,
thawed
1/2 Cup Cornmeal
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Teaspoons Milk

In a medium bowl, mix together the margarine, masa flour, and sugar until light and fluffy. In a food processor or blender, blend one cup of the corn kernels with the water and cornmeal just until smooth. Stir into the masa mixture. Mix in the remaining corn, baking powder, salt, and milk until the batter is smooth. Pour into an 8x8 inch glass baking dish.

I have changed how I cook it compared to the original recipe. I cover my 8x8 pan with foil and then place it in a 9x13 pan that is filled 1/3 of the way full with water. I put that whole pan into an oven heated to 350 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cool ten minutes and use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from the pan.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment