spoon

Spinach Pesto Sausage Calzone

Category: ,



I know quite the long title right?? This meal started out as me trying to be creative and use stuff we had in the house already. I had a big tub of spinach from Costco that was just past its prime and needed to be cooked. I wanted something original to use it in and realized I have never made a Calzone before. This ended up being super yummy and much easier than I expected.

There were two things I did to make it extra easy . The first was I used pizza dough I made earlier and had in the freezer. I also used my homemade pesto that I have in the freezer. I just LOVE the freezer! It helps make my dinners come together so much easier.



Spinach Pesto Sausage Calzone

1 Recipe Pizza Dough
Cooked Spinach (amount to your liking)
1/2 Cup Pesto
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Pound Cooked Sausage
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt

On a lightly floured counter roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the dough with pesto leaving a 1 inch border along the edges. Pile in the rest of your filing (spinach, sausage, mozzarella) onto one half. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal.

Transfer calzone to an oiled baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut 5 slits diagonally across the top of the calzone. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Comment (1)

This looks amazing. Such a great idea to keep this all in the freezer - it really helps in a pinch.

Post a Comment