spoon

Sunday Night Doughnuts

Category: , ,



There has been a package of refrigerated biscuit dough looming over me in the fridge. It never seems to fit a meal that I am making and I knew it was getting past its prime. Each time I opened the fridge to get something I would see it in there begging to be used before it had to be thrown away. Last night after all of our Mother's Day festivities I pulled out a recipe for Easy Doughnuts and got busy.

If you know me I NEVER fry. I think there is one other thing I have fried and it was an accident (I started a recipe and was too far into it when I discovered something had to be fried to turn back). So this was very out of character for me. It turned out to be a lot of fun and I was so impressed with myself I had to call my parents over to try them. Everyone thought they were yummy and I was happy I didn't burn the house down.

If you want to try homemade doughnuts I think this is possibly the easiest way to do it. Good luck!


Easy Doughnuts (from Real Simple May 2007)
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Package Large Refrigerated Biscuits
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

Heat 1/2 cup of the oil in a medium skillet over medium low heat. Place the biscuits on a cutting board. Using a 1 inch round cookie cutter or shot glass, cut a hole in the center of each biscuit, reserving the extra dough for "holes."

Test the heat of the oil by dipping the edge of a doughnut in the pan. When the oil is hot enough, the edge will bubble. Place 4 of the doughnuts and holes in the skillet and fry until golden brown, 1 to 1 1/5 minuets per side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel lined plate to drain. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, reheat and cook the remaining doughnuts and holes. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Gently toss the warm doughnuts in the mixture a few at a time. Serve warm.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment