spoon

Light Fettuccini Alfredo

Category:



I have had a container of half and half in my fridge for several weeks now (yes that is a huge jar of pickle relish next to it. My husband loves pickle relish and thanks to a trip to Costco we will have relish forever). It was supposed to be used in another recipe the week I purchased it but that didn't happen. Since then it just sits there begging me to use it. When I made my meal plan this week I knew using it up was a priority, I couldn't take the guilt of letting it sit in the fridge until it expired.

I was flipping through my America's Test Kitchen cookbook and found a recipe for light Alfredo. It sounded good so I put it on my menu plan. The recipe also suggested serving it with fresh pasta. I used the recipe that was also in the Test Kitchen cookbook but it is almost identical to this post at Finding Joy in my Kitchen.

The whole meal was amazing! My husband and I both loved it. We couldn't even tell it was light. There are not a lot of recipes that make it to my binder of favorites but this one is going in there for sure. Now all I need is a pasta press to make homemade pasta a much faster process.

Light Fettuccine Alfredo
from America's Test Kitchen Cookbook

3/4 Cup Half and Half
1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Salt
1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
9 Ounces Fresh Fettuccine
1 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Pepper

Cook pasta according to the directions at Finding Joy in My Kitchen. While you are waiting for the water to boil, simmer 1/2 cup of the half and half, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoons salt in a large saucepan. Whisk the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup half and half together, then whisk it into the simmering mixture. Continue to simmer the sauce, whisking constantly, until it has thickened about 1 minute. Cover and keep warm off the heat.

When the water is boiling stir in 1 tablespoon salt and the fettuccine. Cook per instructions at Finding Joy in My Kitchen. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining .

When pasta is done return the half and half mixture to medium low head and whisk in the pasta cooking water. Slowly whisk in the Parmesan. Add the pasta and cook, gently tossing the pasta with tongs, until the sauce has thickened slightly and thoroughly coats the pasta, about 1 minute. Season with pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

Comments (2)

This alfredo sauce looks so easy and really tasty. Thanks for sharing!

I was shocked how easy it was. I always thought Alfredo would be way too hard for me to make at home.

Post a Comment