spoon

Homemade Spaetzle

Category: ,

I saw this recipe in the October 2009 issue of the Food Network Magazine and I knew I had to try it. If you know me, you know I love anything in the carbohydrate family. Thus spaetzle fits perfectly into my preferred food group.

I have to say this recipe sounded so much easier when I was reading it and it was super easy making it until I got to the part where it says "push dough through a colander with a rubber spatula." Easier said than done since I didn't anticipate the boiling hot steam killing my hands as I tried to push it through. So now I have this on my Christmas wish list the Jumbo Stainless Steel Potato Ricer.

After the pain of pushing this dough through my colander we did end up with delicious spaetzle and no leftovers-good sign!

Homemade Spaetzle
3 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Large eggs
Kosher salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter; 2 tablespoons melted
Freshly ground pepper
Chopped fresh parsley


Mix the flour, eggs and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then gradually sitr in up to 1 cup water to make a smooth, batter-like dough. Beat with a wooden spoon until bubbles form, then sitr in the melted butter.

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Place about 1 cup of the dough in a colander with large holes; use a rubber spatula (and a lot of arm muscle with determination!) to push the dough through the holes and into the boiling water. (Or use a spaetzle press they say...good suggestion there.) Cook for about 1 minute after the spaetzle float to the surface, then transfer with a slotted spoon to another colander. Repeat with the remaining dough. Rinse the spaetzle in cold waer if not serving immediately and set aside.

Before serving, saute the spaetzle in a skillet with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until warmed through. Season with pepper and garnish with parsley. Worth the work if you love carbs-oh so yummy!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment