spoon

Healthy Makeover Latkes

Category:



I love potato latkes. In August we went out to dinner and had some. Since then I have been wanting to make them at home so when I was digging through my recipes recently and came across this recipe it went in the "to be made" pile.

Tonight was the night for these along with some yummy grilled steak my husband cooked. These are not as good as restaurant style but I am sure they are much much healthier. They are baked instead of fried but still come out with a nice and crispy crust to them. The recipe came from Good Housekeeping December 2008.

Healthy Makeover Latkes
2 Large egg whites
3 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
2 1/2 Pounds baking potatoes, peeled
Applesauce


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray very large cookie sheet or 2 smaller ones with nonstick cooking spray. I used a Demarle pan I got from my mother in law which I LOVE! If you do not have one of these you should definitely look into getting one.

In large bowl, with fork, mix egg whites, chives, flour, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In food processor with shredding disk attached or on coarse side of box greater, shred potatoes. Place potatoes in colander in sink; squeeze out liquid. Stir potatoes into egg mixture.

Drop potato mixture by generous 1/3 cups, about 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet to make 12 mounds (mine only made 6 so I guess I was VERY generous with my 1/3 cup). Press each mound slightly to flatten into a 3-inch round.

Bake latkes 15 minutes. With wide metal spatula, turn latkes over and bake 15 minutes longer or until browned and crisp on both sides. Serve with applesauce.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment