spoon

Dinner Tonight

Category:

Well I messed up my meal plan already for the week and it is only the first day I cooked. At least I did cook I guess. I was planning to make something different but there was a bunch of leftovers in my fridge that I needed to use up so I decided to make Turkey Hash. It is a recipe that has been in my box of things to try since last November when I had a ton of turkey I froze. Since Thanksgiving is quickly approaching again I figured I needed to use up what was left from last year.

This is a recipe I got from Cooking Light November 2008 issue. The real recipe calls for 1 cup of mushrooms but since my husband and I don't like them I left them out. It also says to serve it with cranberry sauce and since it isn't actually Thanksgiving season yet I don't have any. I served them with applesauce which was perfect. The recipe made a lot so I sent four home with my mom. I will have to call her later and see what she thought of them. So this year save some turkey and give these a try.

Turkey Hash Cakes-Sheena's Way

1 Clove garlic
2 Cups chopped cooked turkey breast
2 Cups leftover mashed potatoes
3/4 Cup panko, divided
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 Cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper


Mix garlic, turkey, mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup panko, cheese, green onions, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Once combined divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch-thick patty. Refrigerate 10 minutes. Dredge patties in remaining 1/2 cup panko.


Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 2 minutes on each side. Reapeat with remaining patties.

Here is the nutritional information the magazine gives. The version I made above will be a little different because there was no mushrooms in mine.

Calories 263
Fat 10g
Protein 25.1g

Comments (2)

Looks great Sheena! You are making me want Thanksgiving to come so that I have some turkey! I've never heard of panko. Is this something that I am missing out on?

- Seanna

Panko are Japanese bread crumbs that are lighter than regular bread crumbs. I got mine at Winco so I think you can find them almost anywhere. Let me know if you have any trouble locating them!

Post a Comment