spoon

Detox Dinner

Category:


We made it back from our weekend trip today both feeling like we needed a detox meal after all the junk we ate on vacation. To start with, our hotel offered free breakfast and free cookies in the evening. Who can pass up warm chocolate chip cookies? Not me that is for sure.

Anyway back to the topic of tonight our detox dinner. What I decided to make was a version of Minestrone soup from a recipe that I tore out of the Oregonian February 27, 2007. I have never made it before which means it has been sitting around waiting to be made for over 2 years! It was time.

All I can say is this is a keeper! So very very good and light.

Minestrone (adapted to what I had in my fridge)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Medium onion
8 Baby carrots, thinly sliced
1 Green pepper, diced
2 Cloves garlic minced
1 Medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch thick pieces
1 Teaspoon dried basil
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
6 Cups beef broth
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 19 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 Ounces small pasta
Grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, pepper, and garlic. Cook stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in zucchini and basil.

Add tomatoes and their juice and broth to cover vegetables by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and soup has thickened, about 10 minutes.

Stir in beans and pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls. Garnish with cheese and eat!

Comment (1)

Thanks for the inspiration! I found you via Menu Plan Monday over at orgjunkie and then saw this post! I had some leftover pot roast I had frozen for something just like this. It was exactly like your recipe but it was a great starting place! So thanks again!
Chrissie

Post a Comment