spoon

Onion Cucumber Salad

Category: ,


One of my favorite things to do with cucumbers this time of year is to make Onion Cucumber Salad. I grew up with my Grandma serving this at family gatherings and it always tastes very light and refreshing. A perfect side dish to almost any meal.

Since I don't have my Grandma's recipe I have always used the one in the 1964 Betty Crocker's New Dinner for Two cookbook. It makes a small recipe since the book is meant to provide meals for two but I usually just increase the amount. It tastes just like I remember.

Onion-Cucumber Salad

1/2 Cucumber
1/4 Medium Onion
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1/4 Cup Water
2 to 3 Teaspoons Sugar (I always use the higher number because I like sugar)
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
Dash of Pepper

Peel and thinly slice cucumber. Thinly slice onion, separating rings. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over vegetable; marinate at least 1 hour.

Enjoy!

Comment (1)

I would love some of this right now for lunch. It's so hot and this would be perfect.

Post a Comment