spoon

High Hopes for Chicken with my Man Meal

Category:















I had high hopes for today with a spectacular dinner I planned to make for my hubby and I, Chicken and Dumplings. I saw the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens while I was fighting the Swine Flu last week and decided it was perfect for getting better. I started it this afternoon during my lunch break by quartering the chicken, mixing up the dumpling batter, and defrosting some homemade chicken broth. So far so good. When I came home from work I rushed into the kitchen to start cooking and was there for the next 2 and a half hours! Oh my! I didn't see that coming. The dinner was very yummy but like my husband said, "Nothing is good enough to spend that long in the kitchen making." So if you have high ambitions and lots of patience give this recipe a shot. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Classic Chicken and Dumplings
1 Egg
3 Tbsp Cold Water
2 Tbsp Peanut Oil (I didn't have this so I used regular oil)
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 Cup Flour
1 4 to 4 1/2 Pound Chicken, Quartered (Very proud of myself for quartering my first chicken!)
1 tsp Kosher Salt
5 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Water
2 Stalks Celery
1 Medium Onion, Peeled and Sliced in Half
3 Hard Cooked Eggs, Sliced
2 Tbsp. Cold Butter, Cut Up
1/4 Cup Whipping Cream
Ground Black Pepper

1. For dumplings, in medium bowl whisk together egg, cold water, oil and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in flour. Mix until well-blended and elastic. Cover. Refrigerate 2 hour.
2. Season chicken, including back and neck, with the 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In 6-quart Dutch oven combine chicken stock, water, celery, onion, and pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces, placing leg quarters and backbone first. Place breast, skin side down, on top. Reduce head to just below simmer. Cover, leaving half-inch opening.
3. Cook 30 to 45 minutes or until breaks are just done; remove. Continue cooking leg quarters 30 to 40 minutes until tender; remove chicken and vegetables. Set broth in pot aside. Discard vegetables. Set chicken aside. Cool. Remove skin. Pull meat from bones, tearing into large pieces. Set aside. Discard bones.
4. For dumplings, turn dough onto well-floured surface. Roll very thin, about 1/16 inch; cut in 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch pieces. Return broth to boiling. Season well with additional kosher salt. Add dumplings to broth, shaking pot occasionally. Do not stir. Cook 3 to 5 minute. Add reserved chicken and egg. Reduce to simmer. Add butter, cream, and few grindings of black pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Enjoy all your hard work and eat!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment